Built as King George IV’s pleasure palace when Brighton was the heart of fashionable Regency society, the Royal Pavilion was also used by King William IV and Queen Victoria. Today it has been restored to its original 1823 splendour with Indian architecture contrasted with interiors inspired by China.
The Royal Pavilion started as a modest 18th century lodging house. Architect Henry Holland helped George, Prince of Wales transform his humble seaside retreat into a handsome neo-classical villa – known as the Marine Pavilion.

In 1815 George, by now Prince Regent, hired the eminent architect John Nash, to redesign the building in the Indian style. The work was completed in 1823 by which time George had become King. It is this building, an instantly recognisable symbol of Brighton, which we see today and is a must see for any visitor to Brighton.

Includes restored Regency garden, gift shop and Royal Pavilion Tea by Sugardough.

Attraction Facilities

  • Disabled Access
  • Disabled Toilets
  • Gift Shop
  • Groups
  • Guide Dogs Only
  • Public Transport Nearby
  • Restaurant/Café

Related Attractions.